Spiritual Armour - S. Hunter McNair



I wear it like a shield
Nix and tears

Scratches and scars
Yet only I will fit it

It is loyal and fond of me
It follows me like a love-lorn pup
It seeks only me to quench its necessity for companionship
As if tailored for me alone

It thrives with a simple thought from my soul
Dancing as if a waning ballerina
Too long upon her toes
It stages its perverse performance any time I acknowledge it

To me alone at night will it speak
Muffling its speech just behind the beating of my heart
Willing me, urging me to embrace it

I wear my pain like a shield
Nix and tears

It helped make my life
And though it would appear to be something of a malady to some of you
It is part of me nonetheless
And deserves its credit

For without it
How much of me less would there be
How much of my time and life would be lost
Lost in the vastness of being

scott.hunter.mcnair 8.11.2004


Comments